Monday, February 9, 2015

Today, 2/9/15

Today was a calm, quiet day. The weather made it necessary to stay indoors- icy and cold! As much as I love sitting on the couch under a blanket with my boyfriend and dogs, I'm excited for the warmer weather when Spring rolls around. I enjoy being active outside. I have about 3 more months until I can run again, but nothing beats a walk outside. Time to listen to music, think about possibilities for the future, and reflecting on the past. Tonight I'll be walking on the treadmill for a bit, but it's not as enjoyable as walking outside. I don't enjoy just running for exercise- I love doing engaging things where I don't even feel like I'm exercising.

I started playing soccer again last year. I was no good, but I enjoyed it so much. I noticed that I started getting seizures during the game. When I was close to the team's sideline, I was able to say "sub" and wave another girl on. When I was on the other side of the field, I just let the seizure come while play continued. No idea what happened during the 30-60 seconds, nor do I know what I did during it. I wondered if I kept running around or whether I just stopped in place. I can't even ask anyone because they wouldn't recognize the difference of when I was having one vs when I was playing my best... that's how bad I am at soccer. But again, I enjoy it.

When I was in the hospital for my video EEG, they asked me when I usually get seizures. I don't really have a specific answer for them. They happen here and there and I never noticed a trend. I told them that every time I play soccer I have one during the game. They decided to see if hyperventilating gave me seizures. They did a breathing test with me. The nice man gave me directions to close my eyes and told me when to breathe and how big of a breath to take. He said it'll be around 5 minutes. About 2 minutes into it, I had a seizure. Strange. I never knew it'd be possible to make me have a seizure on command.

I've been interested in joining the soccer league again, but I know that I run a risk in every game since my RNS and medicine aren't completely figured out. The thing that makes me question whether or not I can do it at all is that I'd be a wimp not to do a header when the ball is on the way towards me in the air. I mean, I have this metal thing touching my brain and skull. What if it moved? I am not sure if it's a risk or even possible for that to happen, but perhaps I'll stick to a kickball league instead :-)

Today's Status:
Day 10 seizure free! And close your eyes if you're easily grossed out... [the biggest scab on my head came off today!]

Hopes for the Future:
I'd love to play soccer again, but even more so I look forward to the day when I am able to run again.

No comments:

Post a Comment